German Chocolate Cake W/ Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 box
- 16.5oz. duncan hines german chocolate cake
- 1 c
- 1/3 c
- canola oil
- 1 stick
- butter, softened
- 4 c
- powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- your favorite sweetened cocoa (ghiradeli)
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp
- half and half or milk
How to Make German Chocolate Cake W/ Chocolate Buttercream
- 1In a mixer bowl, mix the dry cake mix with the eggs, water, and oil. Blend until creamy 2 minutes and pour into 2 9'inch round parchment lined pans.
- 2Bake the layers at 350 for 35 minutes or until cakes spring back in middle or tests done in center with a toothpick. Remove and cool completely, then remove parchment from bottom.
- 3Chocolate Buttercream- In a mixer add butter with powdered sugar, cocoa, and add vanilla to half and half or milk a little at a time on lowest speed until frosting is creamy. You may need to add a little more milk to get the right consistency. It should look creamy but not runny.
- 4With parchments removed, place first layer face down frost top of layer then add second layer face up. Frost sides then top of cake and set 2-3 hours to let the frosting firm up before serving.