Fig and Walnut Cake with Lemon Syrup
The Cilantro (Coriander) seeds are a strange decision to add to the syrup but honestly they taste delicious and give it a lovely crunch.
Served with a dollop of Greek yoghurt ....we all think it's delicious.
11/2 cchopped dried figs.
3/4 cchopped walnuts
13/4 csr flour
7 oz200g) butter
3 tsp3tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 cmilk (i actually use about ¾ cup)
FOR THE SYRUP
1 clemon juice
1/3 ccastor sugar (although i use granulated without any problem)
1/3 cliquid honey (but you can use any honey)
2 tspfinely grated lemon zest
3 Tbspwhole cilantro (coriander) seeds lightly crushed.
How to Make Fig and Walnut Cake with Lemon Syrup
- Combine figs, walnuts and flour to help keep the sticky figs separate.
- In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar – add zest and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the fruit/flour mixture alternatively with the milk
- Pour into a well greased and floured 25-25cm round tin and bake at 180C for about an hour.
- Just before the cake is due to come out of the oven....
To make the syrup put all the ingredients into a saucepan and stir until boiling point is reached. Cook for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced
- Pour over the hot cake ensuring even distribution of the seeds. Cool the whole thing in the tin.