Rich and Tender Orange Egg Yolk Sponge Cake
Egg yolks have had a bad rap lately because of the cholesterol content. This has proven to be untrue. Eggs do not have the kind of cholesterol that is dangerous.
Enjoy this cake - in moderation, of course.
1 2/3 ctwice sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
3/4 cegg yolks (about 8 large)
1 1/2 cfine granulated sugar
1 Tbspgrated orange zest
1 Tbspstrained orange juice
1/2 tsplemon extract
3/4 cboiling water
How to Make Rich and Tender Orange Egg Yolk Sponge Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Use 10 inch tube cake pan. Do not oil or grease the pan.
- Sift together the twice sifted flour, baking powder and salt and put back in the sifter.
- In a large mixing bowl (the large mixer bowl) beat the egg yolks and egg until thick and lemon coloured (about 5 minutes).
- Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition (about 10 minutes)
Remove the beater and fold in the orange zest, juice and flavouring.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the egg and sugar mixture. Fold in with a light motion, do not stir or beat.
- Add boiling water and fold in quickly just until mixture is blended.
- Turn into the ungreased tube pan and bake at 325 degrees F. for 60 to 65 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn over and let hang for one hour to cool.
When the cake is cool, loosen with a spatula and remove from pan.
When cold, dust with icing sugar or frost with Orange Butter Frosting.