Earthquake Cake - new and improved
Moist, gooey and wonderful! Very rich.
This was posted on FB and I hunted it down till I found the recipe..She has beautiful photos and great directions.
1 boxcake mix, german chocolate
·(i used a double chocolate cake mix)
1/2 cvegetable oil
1 1/3 cwater
2/3 ccoconut, shredded
2/3 cchocolate chips
1/2 cchopped pecans ( i used walnuts)
18 ounce package of cream cheese
3 3/4 cpowdered sugar (1 pound)
How to Make Earthquake Cake - new and improved
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees
GREASE a 9 X 13 inch pan
- SPRINKLE the coconut, chocolate chips and nuts on the bottom of the pan.
- Cake mix: "DO NOT PREPARE AS DIRECTED ON THE BOX"
MIX the German chocolate cake mix with the oil, eggs and water.
POUR the cake mix on top of the coconut, chocolate chips and nuts.
- IN A sauce pan, melt the butter and cream cheese
Add the 1 pound of powdered sugar into the butter/cream cheese mixture and beat until it is smooth and creamy.
- SPREAD this creamy mixture on top of the uncooked cake in the pan, and swirl into the cake mix using a knife. Do not swirl too much.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. It is done when it doesn't wobble in the pan if you shake it. (my oven took 50 minutes and it was just right. So check at 25 minutes and every 5 minutes after until set.
The toothpick test will not work on this cake as it will be more gooey than a normal cake.
- Your house will smell wonderful and watch out by being trampled by the earthquake made by your family as they get their share.
Note: This is a very rich cake and does not need a frosting..A little ice cream will be okay but not needed.