Cooked Flour Icing
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/2 cup crisco
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
How to Make Cooked Flour Icing
- 1In a blender, mix the milk and cake flour until blended. (This trick prevents those little flour chunks and blends the milk and flour together nicely). Pour mixture into a small sauce pan.
Or, if you don’t want to use a blender you can just whisk the cold milk and flour in a small saucepan until well combined. Either way will work.
- 3When mixture has become slightly thick, set aside to cool completely at room temperature. This takes an approximately an hour.
Note: (If you continue on to make the icing before it is COMPLETELY cooled, or ice the cake while it is still warm, the icing will not be fluffy. It will be a thin icing that does not resemble white fluffy icing at all. :(
- 4In a mixing bowl, cream the Crisco and butter until combined.
- 5Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat for about a 2 minutes.
- 6With a fork, skim off the top dried layer of the cooled milk mixture and discard.
- 7Add the cooled milk mixture to the powdered sugar mixture in the mixing bowl and beat at high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes