Coconut Cake with Coconut Buttercream Icing
·2¼ cups cake flour
·1½ cups ganulated sugar
·3-1/3 teaspoons baking powder
·1 teaspoon salt
·½ cup crisco shortening
·1 cup coconut milk ( i use the canned coconut milk)
·2 teaspoons white vanilla
·4 large egg whites, room temperature
·coconut buttercream icing
·1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
·1/2 cup crisco shortening
·1/3 cup coconut milk (canned coconut milk)
·4 cups powdered sugar
·1 teaspoon white vanilla
·2 cups of sweetened coconut flakes
How to Make Coconut Cake with Coconut Buttercream Icing
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans or a 13x9x2 sheet cake pan.
- In a large mixer bowl, mix together the cake flour, sugar, Crisco, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and coconut milk; everything except the egg whites. Mix for a1/2 minute on low speed, scraping the sides of the bowl as you mix. Beat for another 1 minute on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add in the unbeaten egg whites and beat the mixture for 2 more minutes at high speed. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn cakes out onto wire rack and cool completely.
- When cooled, Ice the cake with coconut buttercream icing.
- Coconut Buttercream Icing:
- In a mixing bowl, with mixer on medium speed, cream the softened butter and Crisco until well blended.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and coconut milk.
- Beat mixture until smooth and creamy; about 2-3 minutes. If icing appears a little too thick, add just a tad more coconut milk; one teaspoon at a time. You do not want it too soft. You want a medium consistency.
- Continue to beat the icing until light and fluffy.
- Ice the cake: top sides and between the layers. Sprinkle coconut flakes all over cake; top and sides. Enjoy!