Chocolate Blackout Cake
This is a very moist,fudgy layer cake; with creamy chocolate pudding spread between it's layers.
I have not made this recently, but will post the photos when I next make it; or you can post your photos here-thanks-hugs
CAKE BATTER (12 INGREDIENTS)
1 stickunsalted butter(8 tablespoons)
1 1/2 cunbleached all purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspeach baking soda and salt
3/4 cdutch processed cocoa powder,sifted
1 ceach brewed espresso coffee and buttermilk
1 ceach light brown sugar and granulated sugar
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cgranulated sugar
6 ozunsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 chalf and half
1 cwhole milk
1/2 ccornstarch, sifted
2 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Blackout Cake
- Place oven rack in center . Preheat oven to 325^ in my oven some ovens require 350^. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (or place wax paper circle in bottom of pans and spray with non stick spray.. Set aside.
- CAKE BATTER:
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cocoa and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the coffee, buttermilk and both the sugars until dissolved. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla, then slowly whisk in the flour mixture.
Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, it's best to rotate the cake pans halfway through baking. Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack.
Cool the cake completely before frosting!
- PUDDING: (filling)
In a large saucepan over medium heat combine all the ingredients, except the vanilla; whisking constantly until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth,shiny and thickened;it takes about 20-22 minutes.Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer the pudding to a large bowl and refrigerate, with plastic wrap pressed flush against it's surface, until cold and set(5 or up to 24 hours, if you want to assemble the cake the next day).
- Slice each cooled cake into 2 even layers. Crumble one of the sliced layers into medium crumbs and set aside.
Place one of the sliced layers on cake plate and spread 1 cup of pudding over cake layer; repeating with the remaining 2 pieces of cake. Spread the remaining pudding evenly over top and sides of the cake.
(the cake might look jiggly now, but after you PRESS the crumbs all around it will get more stable;with refrigeration).
- Sprinkle the cake crumbs evenly over top and sides of the cake,pressing lightly to adhere the crumbs.
This cake can be made a day ahead and kept under a cake dome in the refrigerator.