Cherry Beer Cake
- 3/4 c
- maraschino cherries, divided
- 2 c
- all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- eggs, at room temperature
- 2 c
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 1 c
- cherry wheat beer, plus 2 tablespoons divided
- 1 c
- confectioners' sugar
How to Make Cherry Beer Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan. Cut about 16 of the cherries in half lengthwise and arrange them in the bottom and up the sides of each of the small channels in the bundt pan. You should have 8 evenly-spaced rows in spokes going outward from the center tube. Chop enough of the remaining cherries to make 1/4 cup, squeeze dry in paper towels, and set aside.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed until thick and light in color, about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in sugar 1/4 at a time until combined, then add vanilla extract.
Using a large spatula, fold flour mixture into egg and sugar mixture.
- 4Heat 1 cup of the beer just until bubbles begin to rise around the edge of the pan. Add warm beer along with melted butter to the batter, stirring gently to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan being careful not to dislodge cherries. (Batter will appear to be thin.) Sprinkle the chopped cherries over the top of the batter (they will sink to the bottom).
- 5Bake 30 minutes. Do not over-bake. Cool on rack for 10 minutes, and loosen cake around the inner and outer edges of the pan with a thin spatula. Invert onto a large platter and let cool to room temperature.
- 6Whisk together confectioners' sugar and 2 Tablespoons of the beer until smooth. Scrape the icing into a zip-top bag and squeeze out the air. Snip a tiny corner from the bottom of the bag and drizzle the icing in between the rows of cherries.
**Note** You may substitute cherry lambic or a light, sweet porter beer.