BIG EARL'S EASY ICEBOX FRUITCAKE
- 2 pkg
- graham crackers (16 ounce each)
- 1 stick
- margarine or butter
- 2 1/2 c
- pecans, chopped (note !)
- 1 pkg
- small marshmellows (16 ounces)
- 12 oz
- red maraschino cherries (note 1)
- 12 oz
- green maraschino cherries (note 1)
- 32 oz
- mixed candied fruit coarsely chopped
- 2 can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces each)
- 1 c
- bourbon (optional note 2)
How to Make BIG EARL'S EASY ICEBOX FRUITCAKE
- 1Line two 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing wrap to hang over edges 3 or 4 inches.
- 2In a large bowl, finely crush the graham crackers, then add the red and green cherries, candied fruit, and pecans.
- 3Melt butter in a double boiler. Cool slightly. Add sweetened condensed milk, marshmallows, and bourbon (or wine), stir well. Pour this over the crackers and fruit. Mix well. The mixture should be very thick and moistened thoroughly. Pack mixture tightly into the lined pan making sure no air bubbles are trapped in the loaf. Garnish top with pecan and cherry halves. Cover tightly with the plastic wrap.
- 4Allow to age in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 weeks or longer (the longer the better the flavor). The flavors will have a chance to blend and all of the liquids will be absorbed into the cake. I have keep them in the refrigerator for over two years and enjoyed a slice of fruitcake every once in a while all year long. After they have molded to the shape of the loaf pan (3 to 4 weeks) they may be removed from the pans for long term storage.
- 5Note 1: I use a 32 ounce (2 pound) container of mixed candied fruit. I hold out enough of the red and green maraschino cherries (cut in half) and pecan halves to garnish the top of the fruitcakes, the rest of the cherries and pecans are cut up in the cake.
- 6Note 2: 2 cup sweet wine (grape, blackberry or any flavor you desire) may be substituted for the bourbon or they both may be left completely out.