BBQ Ice Cream
1 largesara lee pound cake
4 ozfavorite raspberry jam
4 ozfavorite apricot jam
3klondike bars (any flavor)
1 Tbspcream of tartar
2 Tbspconfectioners sugar
·12" x 1/4" x 6" plank (cedar planks are perfect)
·sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
4-6 ozhot fudge or caramel sauce to drizzle over cake
How to Make BBQ Ice Cream
- Take a cedar plank (approx. size 12"x1/4"x6") and wrap it with 2-3 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. Making sure no wood shows through or on the edges.
- Take a Sara Lee pound cake (partially thawed) and cut it in half lengthwise so it looks like a sandwich.
- Spread raspberry (or other favorite jam/ on the cut side of the top of the cake. Then spread apricot (or other favorite jam) on the cut side of the bottom of the cake. Then place three (unwrapped please) Klondike bars on top of the bottom cake and jam, then cover with the top layer (like a long ice cream sandwich). Place on top of the foil wrapped board and place in the freezer.
- Using a chilled bowl whip the egg whites into a stiff meringue, sprinkling in the cream of tartar and then the confectioner's sugar while mixing. Again you need stiff peaks.
- Preheat your barbecue to very hot - at least 500˚F but 600˚F or 700˚F is even better. It doesn't matter if you're using a charcoal or gas grill both will work fine.
- Remove the cake and board from the freezer and using a spatula completely cover the ice cream cake at least an inch thick all over with the meringue. Make sure the cake is completely covered all the way down to the foil on all sides, as this layer of meringue insulated the cake and ice cream inside.
- Place the meringue covered cake and board in the center of the barbecue grill and close the lid. Check after 2 minutes or so, and every minute after that, and when you see browned edges on some of the meringue it's time to take the cake out of the bbq and present to your guests.
- You must use and ELECTRIC KNIFE to cut the cake into slices as a regular knife will crush the ice cream bars inside as you cut through the cake. Place a slice on each of 6 plates, drizzle with hot fudge or caramel sauce, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve.