An Irish chocolate cake-with a secret ingredient!
"go n-éirí an bóthar leat" it means have a good journey through life an old irish way of saying Good Luck
3/4 ccaster sugar
2 ozdark or milk chocolate
1 1/3 cself raising flour
2 Tbspcorn flour (starch)
3 ozcooked mashed potatoes
4 ozdark or milk chocolate
1 cdouble cream
1/2 cconfectioners' sugar
2 Tbspcocoa powder
How to Make An Irish chocolate cake-with a secret ingredient!
- preheat oven to 350f and line 2 8x2 cake tins
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, cornflour and salt into a mixing bowl. Melt 2oz chocolate in a bowl placed over a saucepan of hot water.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the chocolate and mashed potato.
- Gradually beat in the egg and vanilla extract adding a little flour with each addition. Fold in the rest of the flour and stir in the milk.
- Divide mixture between cake tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is firm but springy to the touch. Remove from oven and after a few minutes, turn out on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
Melt the chocolate as before, beat the sugar and cream together until thick stir in the chocolate and baileys and mix well. Use the icing to sandwich the cake layers together. Don't be skimpy on the filling !!! and coat the top of the cake. Use some white melted chocolate to do a feather design for decoration (not essential)