Sweetheart Sandwich Cookies
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/4 lbunsalted butter
1 1/4 csalt
1 Tbspvanilla extract
1/2 cunsweetened cocoa
1 Tbspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
4 Tbspunsalted butter
1 tspvanilla extract
4 cconfectioner's sugar
How to Make Sweetheart Sandwich Cookies
- To make the cookies, cream the butter with the sugar in a large bowl until light. Beat in eggs and vanilla; set aside. Sift the cocoa, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Stir the dry ingredients thoroughly into the butter mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 or 3 hours. Preheat the oven to 375 F and butter 2 cookie sheets.
- Using a teaspoon measure, roll level teaspoons of the dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on the sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 mins, until cookies are puffed and surfaces slightly dry and cracked. Cool on racks.
- To make the filling, cream the butter until light. Beat in the vanilla and powdered sugar, adding whipping cream and continuing to beat until the consistency is like creamy frosting.
- Makes about 3 dozen sandwiches.
- Variation : For half a batch of vanilla-filled and half a batch of peppermint-filled cookies, add ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract to half the filling. Tint the peppermint filling pink or green before filling half the sandwiches.