Spanish Polvorones Cookies/ Polvorones Espanoles
- 2 1/4 c
- lard or vegetable shortening such as crisco
- 1 1/4 c
- 2 c
- confectioners sugar
- 3 c
- whole raw almonds, ground finely
- 3 2/3 c
- cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- almond extract
- 1 tsp
- 1 large
- use a jumbo egg yolk if possible
How to Make Spanish Polvorones Cookies/ Polvorones Espanoles
- 1Cut shortening into the granulated and powdered sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground almonds, almond extract and cinnamon and mix well. Next mix in flour one cup at a time. Mixture will be crumbly and dry. You may want to use your hands as I do to mix together. As you add the last cup of flour your mixture will be very crumbly. Just mix all the ingredients very well.
- 2Next beat the egg yolk and add to the mixture mix into the dough as well as possible. Refrigerate the dough for at least two or more hours.
- 3After two hours or more divide the dough into four portions. Using a portion of the dough at a time, roll or form a rope 1 - 1 1/2 inches wide. Lay the rope on a cutting board and flatten the rope slightly. Slice the rope diagonally to make diamond -shaped cookies.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees 20 minutes before baking. Lay cookies on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow them to cool on the cookies sheet for 5-10 minutes. They are very crumbly, So once cooled slightly, very carefully remove them using a spatula. Cookies are delicious and will melt in your mouth. Enjoy.
I will be baking these for the holidays and will post my picture when I bake them.