Softest Sugar Cookies
"Photo and recipe provided courtesy of Kraft Food & Family magazine, www.kraftfoods.com. For more information or to sign up for a free subscription, please visit www.kraftfoods.com/magazine."
1 cbreakstone's or knudsen sour cream
1 tspbaking soda
1 c(2 sticks) butter, softened
1-1/2 cgranulated sugar
2 tspground nutmeg
1-1/2 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Softest Sugar Cookies
- MIX sour cream and baking soda; set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix well. Blend in nutmeg, vanilla and sour cream mixture. Gradually add flour, beating well after each addition. Refrigerate 30 min.
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Drop tablespoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto greased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 min. or just until centers are set and edges are lightly browned. Let stand on baking sheets 3 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.
- MIX powdered sugar and milk until well blended; spread onto cookies. Let stand until frosting is firm.
- kraft kitchens tips:
SPECIAL EXTRATint frosting with food coloring before spreading onto cooled cookies. For added color, immediately sprinkle with colored sugar; let stand until frosting is firm.
- USE BUTTER IN COOKIE RECIPES :
For best results, do not substitute margarine for the butter in cookie recipes as it will cause the dough to spread excessively on the baking sheet as the cookies bake.
- HOW TO MEASURE DRY INGREDIENTS PRECISELY :
To get exact level cup measures of dry ingredients, such as sugar, spoon sugar into dry metal or plastic measuring cup, then level by scraping excess sugar from top of cup with a straight-edged knife or metal spatula.