How to Make Snickerdoodles
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the 3 Tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 1½ cups sugar, butter and Crisco until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt to the butter-sugar mixture; mix well.
- Shape cookie dough into 1-inch balls; roll cookie balls in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Note: dough can be chilled for 20 minutes before shaping into balls for easier handling. You can also grease your hands with a little Crisco or oil to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets and cool on rack. (everyone's oven temp varies, so keep that in mind on the baking time)
- Chocolate Snickerdoodles: ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa can be substituted for ½ cup flour. Bake for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees.