Simple Scrumptious Shortbread
We were sort of adopted by our neighbors. LaVonne, about 60 and her mother "GaGa", about 80.
My husband mowed their grass, shoveled their driveway, and helped with simple household tasks. We used to play cards with them and we'd get to talking and food would come up...next thing we knew one of use would be in the kitchen whipping something up!
This is one of those late night recipes from LaVonne.
- 1 c
- butter - and it's got to be real butter, softened
- 1/2 c
- powdered sugar
- 2 c
How to Make Simple Scrumptious Shortbread
- 1Mix all the ingredients well.
- 4Bake the shortbread in a 375 degree F oven for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 300 degrees and bake 25 more minutes
- 5When the shortbread is done, cool about 5 minutes, then gently break apart along the scored lines. You can use the fork again to coax the pieces apart.
- 6Holiday Hint: Take a mini cookie cutter in a holiday motif - for example a holly leaf. Before you bake the shortbread, dip the edge of the cutter into green liquid food coloring and then press it gently onto the shortbread. Sprinkle some green colored sugar inside the cutter before removing it. You could also make "paint" by adding food coloring to water, then use a small decorating brush and "paint" the leaf. Add a cinnamon hot for a holly berry.
- 7This is truly a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread. It is just wonderful with a nice afternoon cup of tea.