Scottish Shortbread Cookies!
How to Make Scottish Shortbread Cookies!
- 1Cream sugar (sifted) and butter (softened) with mixer (Kitchen-aid mixers are nice for this recipe).
- 2Option 1: Using your hands, work flour into mixture, one cup at a time, work in well..Option 2: (or can use Kitchen-aid mixer with paddle attachment).Beat until mixed well and forms a ball.
- 3Roll out to 1/2" thickness (I sprinkle powdered sugar on counter instead of flour) and cut into desired shapes (I used crescent moon and half-moon shapes here)
- 4Put on cookie sheets, (may put close together -1" apart as they do not rise - and bake in a PREHEATED 275 degree oven for about 1 hour. The shortbread should be a pale gold color. Keep a close eye on it and don't let it get too brown.
- 5Remove onto wax paper or parchment paper to cool. Using a fine-mesh strainer/sifter, if desired, you can dust a fine amount of confectioner's sugar over shortbread. Also, while warm, I sometimes sprinkle food-edible glitter on top, as shown in photo above. This gives it an added sparkle, which is nice for holidays or special occasions. These are great with coffee or tea and have a light buttery taste. The secret is in the confectioner's sugar instead of granulated sugar.