Santa Claus Cookies
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/2 c
- shortening, or butter flavor shortening
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- grated lemon peel (l omit this, dont really need it)
- 2 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- creamy frosting (see recipe below)
- miniature marshmallows
- red sugar
- milk chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- red hots cinnamon candies
- flaked or shredded coconut
How to Make Santa Claus Cookies
- 1Mix granulated sugar, shortening, milk, lemon peel and egg.
- 2Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 4Shape dough into 1-1/4 inch balls.
- 5Place about 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten each to about 2-1/2 inch in diameter, with greased bottom of a beverage glass dipped in sugar.
- 6Bake until edges are light brown, 8 to 10 minutes; then let cookies cool completely before frosting them.
- 7Spread cookie with small amount of Creamy Frosting.
- 8Sprinkle top third of cookie with red sugar (to make Santa's cap).
- 9Press on miniature marshmallow for tassel of cap.
- 10Press 2 chocolate chips for the eyes, and 1 red cinnamon candy for the nose.
- 11Sprinkle bottom third with either flaked or shredded coconut, for the beard.
- 12Frost and decorate each cookie before starting another.
- 13Creamy Frosting: Mix 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 4-6 tablespoons milk; mix until desired consistency. (I actually used: 3 cups plus 6 tablespoons of powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons plus a 1/2 tablespoon of milk, and the 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.)
- 14Note: I baked my cookies on Pampered Chef Stoneware, and baked the first 2-3 batches for 10 minutes, and the last 2 batches for 9 minutes, as the cookies were starting to brown up a bit more.