Nutty Lemon Cinnamon Twists
These are great with your cozy holiday cocoa, tea, coffee, eggnog and even a light wine.
They are chewy, lemony butter treats with a caramelized sugar topping.
This recipe makes 4 batches-use one- freeze remaining dough for another time.
Best to make the dough a day ahead.
- 1 lb
- butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes,chilled
- 3 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- grated lemon zest
- 1 3/4 tsp
- 1 c
- cold water
- 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c
- chopped pecans
- 1 large
- egg plus 1 tablespoon water(egg wash)
- drizzle with lemony powdered sugar glaze, if desired
How to Make Nutty Lemon Cinnamon Twists
- 1Twist Dough: (puff pastry)
In a large bowl, mix together flour,salt and lemon zest. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter, until butter is evenly dispersed and covered in flour. You will have large chunks of butter throughout the flour.
- 2Add water and mix with fingertips just until dough holds together when pressed. I will be very shaggy, that's what it's suppose to look like. Wrap this dough in a plastic wrap and shape into a flat disk, about an inch thick. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- 3Remove dough from fridge and place on lightly floured plastic wrap. Roll dough into a 12x30 inch rectangle, pressing together any spots that break apart.(dough will still be a bit crumbly and loose-it should be).Fold rectangle into thirds, like a letter, brushing off any excess flour. Roll out to same size again and fold again,using the plastic wrap to help fold. Wrap and chill again for 30 minutes. Remove from fridge and repeat the rolling and folding 2 more times-chilling between each fold for 30 minutes. Dough will be stiff, so put your muscle into it when rolling out. After the last fold let dough chill and rest for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350^. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Set aside.
Cut dough into 4 equal pieces.Save 3 and place each piece in plastic freezer bag for another time , if desired.
- 5Place the remaining piece on a lightly floured surface, roll into a 1/4 inch thick square. Spread with a little melted butter sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar, and nuts. Press mixture into dough. Cut into 3/4 inch wide strips and twist 2 or 3 times, pressing the ends gently onto the parchment paper, to prevent the twists from unraveling. Beat the egg and water together and gently brush over the twists. Sprinkle with more sugar/cinnamon.Bake for 20 minute- watch carefully during the last five minutes so they don't burn, until puffed, golden brown and crispy. Cool completely. Drizzle with lemon glaze if desired.