Mrs. Fiegl's Cut Out Cookies
Janice (Jan) Barlow
How to Make Mrs. Fiegl's Cut Out Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a VERY LARGE bowl heat together the milk and baking amonia (it really "expands"). Note that the amonia SMELLS like amonia but bakes off-don't inhale too much!!! Let cool while continuing recipe until ready to use
- In mixing bowl, beat lard (at room temp). Add the sugar and eggs, one at a time. Then add the milk/amonia mix and beat to blend.
Add the anise extract-be sure it's not "flavoring"-must be the real thing. I tend to be heavy handed with the anise because I like it!
- Then start to slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time until dough is easy to handle. Do NOT use more than 10 cups as it will make the dough too "floury".
- Roll dough onto a well- floured surface (the rolling pin too). I cover the rest of the dough as I roll it out. I use very small cookie cutters so they are "just a bite". Place on parchment paper on cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly brown on the edges. PLEASE NOTE; WHEN YOU OPEN THE OVEN THE FIRST TIME THE AMONIA SMELL IS RATHER OVER POWERING-it dissapates quickly.
- Cool on racks. Frost with desired icing. I usually use a box of confectionary sugar, a bit of white vanilla and enough milk to make it like a thin glaze. Then decorate.