Minty Meringue Kisses(All Purpose Meringue) Recipe
The meringue recipe makes a small batch but this recipe can be doubled (do not increase the salt however if doubling).
The meringue recipe is an all purpose recipe for meringue. If you look in the photos section I have uploaded a cake that I covered in meringue flowers and swirls.
PLEASE NOTE: You do need to allow these to dry out overnight.
2egg whites, room temperature
1/2 tspcream of tartar
1/2 cplus 2tb white sugar (superfine if you have it)
1/2 tspvanilla extract or almond extract
3/4 csemi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 tsppeppermint oil
How to Make Minty Meringue Kisses(All Purpose Meringue) Recipe
- Place the egg whites in a clean medium sized bowl.
- Beat the egg whites on low for 30 seconds or until they are foamy.
- Add in cream of tartar and salt. Turn the mixer to medium and beat just until fluffy and soft peaks begin to form.
- Add the sugar gradually, so it incorporates into the whites slowly without collapsing them.
- Once all sugar is incorporated add in the vanilla extract(or almond extract). Mix just until flavoring is incorporated into the whites.
- Place meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe the egg whites onto parchment paper or a silpat. The cookies should be about 1 inch in diameter. You can make about 12 to 18 cookies.
- Bake for 1 hour undisturbed then turn off heat and leave in the oven overnight to dry out.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or carefully in the microwave.
- Add the mint oil into the melted chocolate.
- Dip the base of the cooled meringues into the mint chocolate and place on wax paper to cool.