☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/4 cflour
1/2 tspsodium-free baking powder
1/2 csugar, granulated
1/2 cbutter, unsalted, at room temperature (1 stick)
1 tspvanilla extract
3 Tbspvanilla sugar or other granulated sugar
1/3 cjam, any flavor
How to Make Low Sodium Thumbprint Cookies, 5mg per cookie
- Place flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla extract in a food processor. Pulse until thoroughly mixed, scraping down as necessary to catch all ingredients.
Alternatively, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and baking powder and add to mixture in thirds, beating between each addition.
- Space the two oven racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Form 1/8th cup (2 tablespoons, about 1 1/4") balls. Roll each in vanilla sugar. Place about 1 inch apart on two parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Using your thumb, make a 1/2-inch deep indention in each cookie. Fill the indentions with about jam.
- Bake the cookies 8 minutes, turn and exchange bottom and top cookie sheets. Bake an additional 8 minutes or until slightly browned at the edges. (If you do not open the oven to turn the cookies, bake 15 minutes).
- Allow to cool thoroughly on the parchment paper. Let sit a couple hours before attempting to stack and wrap to avoid the jam gluing the cookies together.