Lemon Mirengue Cookies
Anthony Nicometi Jr
How to Make Lemon Mirengue Cookies
- In a small food processor or blender, Take your 2/3c of sugar, and pulse on high for 90 seconds. And Presto! you now have superfine sugar!
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees, line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand held electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until they become a little frothy, add the cream of tartar and salt and mix it in until combined.
- Slowly add the sugar and whisk the mixture until the egg whites become thick and very glossy and the sugar has dissolved (pinch the mixture in between your fingers and see if you feel the sugar, if you do, keep mixing)
- Add lemon zest and food coloring, and fold until combined.
- With either two small spoons or in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip, form little dollops on your prepared baking sheet a couple inches apart.
- bake them for 1 hour and 15 minutes making sure to rotate the baking sheets half way through baking. Turn the oven off and let them cool and dry out with the oven door shut for 3 hours.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple weeks! If they last that long ;)