Lebkuchen (German Xmas Honey Cakes)
Note: Prep time includes chilling the dough over night.
3/4 cbrown sugar (packed)
1 Tbsplemon juice
1 tsplemon zest, grated
2 3/4 cflour (sifted)
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 tspcinnamon, ground
1 tspcloves, ground
1 tspallspice, ground
1 tspnutmeg, ground
1/3 cchopped nuts
1/3 ccitron, cut up (optional)
GLAZING ICING INGREDIENTS
1/4 cconfectioners' sugar
How to Make Lebkuchen (German Xmas Honey Cakes)
- in a small pan Mix honey and molasses and bring to a boil.
Once to a boil, take off heat and cool thoroughly.
- Once cooled, stir in brown sugar, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well.
- sift together and stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg mixing well.
- Mix in chopped nuts and if you want to add the cut up citron do this now. I prefer not to use the citron.
- Form dough into a ball, wrap well with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- You are going to work the dough a little at a time as you want to keep remainder chilled while you are working a portion.
lightly flour your surface and using a small amount about baseball size (be sure to put rest of your dough back in fridge), roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut into oblong 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch pieces.
- Bakers Tip... While cookies bake make your glazing icing
- Place 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until when touched lightly, no imprint remains.
- While cookies are baking you will want to make your glazing icing.
Boil together sugar and water to 230 degees. The liquid should look almost like a thread when drizzled.
Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners sugar.
(when icing gets sugary, reheat slightly, adding a little water until clear again.)
- Brush hot icing thinly over cookies the minute they are out of the oven. Then quickly remove from baking sheet.
Cool and store to mellow
- Bakers Tip: How to "Mellow" cookies...
store in air tight container for a few days. Add a few apple slices, changing it 2x a day to insure freshness