Grandpa Cookies (Date Perishky)
Although they can be eaten right away, like Christmas/Fruit cake, the flavour takes time to fully mature and "pop", which is why Grandpa started making these in October and wouldn`t let anyone eat them before Christmas.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I used raspberry gelatin in this recipe and the flavor was delicious. I loved the date filling. I can see why Grandpa started making them in October. Not sure how that would work for me... I might have them all eaten by Christmas. I kept going back to sneak a cookie and the flavors were better every time! The Test Kitchen
1 1/2 choney
1/2 pkggelatine powder - your choice of flavour
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1 pinchground cloves
1 tspvanilla extract
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspbaking powder
3/4 cbutter or margarine
7 call purpose flour
2 cdates - chopped
2 capples - chopped
How to Make Grandpa Cookies (Date Perishky)
- Boil honey and sugar together. Stir in gelatine powder. I like orange flavour. Grandpa used to use orange or raspberry.
- In a large bowl, add the honey mixture to the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well, should form soft dough. Cover and let rest for 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out thin and cut with a 2" circular cookie cutter.
- Put 1 teaspoon filling mix* in middle of circle. Moisten edges and fold over as if making a perogy and seal firmly.
- Put on cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until done. Let cool and ice top with white icing.
- To Prepare Date Filling:
- In a saucepan, combine dates, apples and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Cool completely.