Gramma Wood's & (Mom) Hazel's Sugar Cookies
How to Make Gramma Wood's & (Mom) Hazel's Sugar Cookies
- Cream; sugar & butter (BEST TASTE comes from REAL BUTTER-remember this is an old farm recipe)BUT, if you MUST (I do NOT advise this) use margerine OR 1/2 butter & 1/2 butter.(AGAIN-I advise you to use ALL REAL BUTTER!)
- Add: eggs & a few drops of red food coloring (to make pink dough) THEN; beat well.
- Add: sweet cream (old school farm term for; fresh cream-floating on the top of cow's milk) Can use liquid whipping cream OR if you MUST 1/2&1/2 OR half liquid Whippig Cream & half 1/2&1/2 BUT it won't be as good! Just MY opinion! THEN; Beat Well AGAIN.
- Add: flour & baking powder & Beat Well, yet AGAIN. THEN chill, at least 4 hrs OR overnight.
- (Can create a few large snake-like rolls before chilling. Then slice, for round cookies, without using cookie cutters) Remove a big clump of dough & replace remaining dough into refrigerator, to keep it cold-making it easier to roll out & cut into shapes, using cookie cutters. You may want to use a LITTLE (use as little as possible) flour,to the counter/board or rolling pin, before rolling dough, to make dough easier to work. REroll dough "scraps", adding a bit of cold dough, as needed, to have a good sized area, of dough, to use the cookie cutters. You can also scoop out dough, by heaping teaspoons & roll into small balls; smashing them slightly, with the bottom of a GLASS drinking glass that has been dipped in, a small bowl of sugar between each cookie!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, as you begin rolling &/or cutting the dough. BAKE 7 to 8 minutes - the edges will JUST begin, to turn a LIGHT brown. Remove to cooling rack OR counter top. They'll crisp up, as they cool.