I acquired this recipe many years ago from an ex-sister-in-law who made these every year for Christmas. After marrying my current husband, I discovered that his mama loved ginger snaps and was eating the store bought variety. OMG! There is no comparison! These are awesome, so good that I've even made my hubby a lover of THESE ginger snaps!
They are crisp and melt in your mouth delicious and what I consider a "healthy cookie"!
1 cgranulated sugar
1/4 cdark molasses
1 tspground cinnamon
1 tspground cloves
1 tspground ginger
3/4 cgranulated sugar
How to Make Ginger Snaps
- Cream 3/4 c. shortening and 1 cup of sugar together with a pastry blender.
- Add molasses and egg. (Beat with electric beater until smooth).
- Add dry ingredients and mix well. (I start with the electric mixer, adding dry ingredients slowly. Once all ingredients are blended together, I finish mixing with my hands).
- Put 3/4 c. granulated sugar in a bowl for dipping.
- Roll cookie dough into Tablespoon size balls and dip into sugar. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes in a 375 degree oven. (Don't overbake). They will flatten as they cool.
They should look cracked.
- Unusually delicious WARM!
- NOTE: If you run out of time, cookie dough can be refrigerated until you can get back to making your cookies. Just let the dough set out for a little while so it is easier to form your balls.
Dough also freezes well and makes great gifts!