Spice Cookies (Gewurzplatzchen)
1/2 cbutter or margarine
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 1/2 cflour unbleached, unsifted
2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspground allspice
1/2 tspground cloves
How to Make Spice Cookies (Gewurzplatzchen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and brown sugar until completely mixed. Stir in the egg and molasses until completely incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Stir into the sugar mixture until completely mixed in.
- Scoop out the cookie dough using a spoon and form into 3/4-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten each ball with the bottom of a glass that has been greased and dipped into sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
Let cookies cool completely on racks then store in airtight containers.