German Spice Cookies (Pferrernusse)
A wonderful cookie to make with children.
Recipe care of "Super Food Ideas" Australia.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·2 1/2 cups plain flour
·1/2 ts of each ground cinnamon, ground allspice and ground nutmeg
·a pinch of ground cloves
·a large pinch of ground black pepper
·1/4 ts bicarb
·1/2 cup soft butter
·3/4 cup brown sugar
·1/4 cup molasses
·1 egg at room temp.
·icing sugar for dusting.
How to Make German Spice Cookies (Pferrernusse)
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC/375oF. Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, spices and bicarb into a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the butter sugar and molasses until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat to combine. Stir in the flour mixture.
- Roll equal sized balls of dough (about the size of a large cherry) and place on the prepared trays. Allow a little spreading room.
- Bake in the prepared oven for 12 - 15 minutes, the cookies should be golden and firm to touch (and they will be slightly cracked looking).
- Cool on the trays for 10 minutes. Place the icing sugar in a bowl and gently add a few cookies at time and using clean hands, well coat the cookies (I like to shake the bowl gently). Shake off excess sugar off each cookie and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.