Favorite Cut Out Sugar Cookies
This dough is relatively easy to work with. The cookies bake well without over browning and come out firm (not soft, or cake-like) while keeping their shape.
The icing is a "royal" icing which dries hard so these are perfect for packaging and/or placing on a cookie platter. Remember to decorate with sprinkles before the icing completely dries.
These are fun for the kids to decorate and as you can see from the photo, the possibilities for them
- 6 c
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 c
- butter (salted)
- 2 c
- 2 large
- 2 tsp
- vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tsp
- powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp
- food coloring (for tinting, if desired)
- colored sprinkles (if desired)
How to Make Favorite Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- 1Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, extract and mix well.
- 2Mix dry ingredients and add to butter mixture gradually. Mix until flour is incorporated and dough comes together.
- 3Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Let dough "warm" at room temperature for about 10 minutes to make it easier to work with. Work with half of the dough at a time, rolling it out to 1/4 inch thick on flour covered surface. Cut with various cookie cutters and transfer to a cookie sheet, placing them at least 2 inches apart.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack. When cool, frost with icing and sprinkle before icing has dried.
- 5Icing: Add vanilla and a tablespoon of milk at a time to a small bowl of powdered sugar. Mix until icing is of desired consistency.