Easy Homemade Mallomar Bars
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 10 oz
- graham crackers, crushed
- 6 oz
- unsalted butter melted (about 1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 tsp
- 1/2 c
- water, divided
- 1/2 c
- light corn syrup, divided
- 1 c
- + 2 tablespoons (about 9 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 4 oz
- bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream
How to Make Easy Homemade Mallomar Bars
- 1In large bowl, stir graham crumbs and butter until crumbs are evenly moistened and mixture is firm (i.e., holds its shape when pressed into place). Press firmly into bottom of very lightly greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Optional: Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes; let cool.
(Baking the base crust is optional but results in a firmer base that won't crumble as easily when cutting into bars.)
- 2Place 1/4 cup water in small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over top. Let sit at least 5 minutes to soften.
- 3Stir 1/4 cup corn syrup, remaining 1/4 cup water, and sugar in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until dissolved. Continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture registers 240°F on an instant read thermometer.
- 4Immediately pour hot syrup into bowl of standing mixer. Add remaining 1/4 cup corn syrup, softened gelatin, and vanilla. Turn mixer to medium speed and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
(Note: avoid over-whipping the marshmallow mixture or it will cool down, making it difficult to spread smoothly.)
- 5Pour marshmallow mixture over graham cracker base and smooth top with a spatula. Chill until set, about 30 minutes.
- 6Place chocolate in medium bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat cream until simmering. Pour hot cream over chocolate, and whisk until melted and smooth. Pour melted chocolate mixture over the marshmallow layer, and chill until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.
- 7Once set, use a hot, wet knife to cut 4 rows vertically and 6 horizontally, to create 24 squares.