Cranberry Pinwheel Cookies
1/2 csoftened butter
3/4 cgranulated sugar
1 tspvanilla extract
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1/4 tspbaking powder
1/2 cfresh cranberries, finely chopped
1/2 cfinely chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1 Tbspgrated orange zest
3 Tbspbrown sugar
How to Make Cranberry Pinwheel Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine cranberries, walnuts and orange peel; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch square.
- Combine brown sugar and milk; spread over the dough then sprinkle with the cranberry mixture, leaving about a 1/2-inch edge at both ends of the dough.
- Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Wrap with waxed paper; chill several hours or overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F. Coat cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray, or grease with shortening. Cut roll into 1/4-inch slices and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until edges are light brown.
- Cool on wire rack.