Chocolate Turtle Cookies
1 call purpose flour
1/3 ccocoa powder
8 Tbspbutter, softened
1 largeegg, separated plus 1 additional egg white
1 tspvanilla extract
1 1/4 cpecans, finely chopped
3 Tbspheavy cream
2 ozbaker's semi-sweet baking chocolate
How to Make Chocolate Turtle Cookies
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla; mix until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm for 1 hour. Meanwhile, whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in a separate bowl.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, and roll in pecans. Place balls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat mat. Using a 1/2 teaspoon round measuring spoon (or you can use the tip of a wooden spoon handle) to make an indentation in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until set, about 12 minutes. To make caramel filling, microwave the caramels and 3 tablespoons heavy cream together in a small bowl, stirring occasionally until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven, gently re-press the indentations. Fill each indentation with 1/2 teaspoon of caramel mixture. Cool on pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, place chocolate baking squares and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring until the chocolate and shortening are melted. Place the chocolate mixture into a plastic bag and snip a tiny hole in the corner. Drizzle chocolate over the cooled cookies.