Chocolate Peppermint Bar Cookies
1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 cunsweetened cocoa powder
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 cunsalted butter, softened
3/4 cdark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 csemi-sweet chocolate chips
1 chard peppermint candies, coarsely crushed (candy canes will work)
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Bar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place rack in middle position of oven. Line a 13-9 inch metal baking pan with 1 sheet of foil, allowing 2 inches of foil to hang over each end of pan. Butter foil, except for overhang.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and peppermint candy pieces.
- Spread dough evenly in pan and bake until puffed and beginning to pull away from sides of pan, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan, then, lifting with foil, transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bars and lift off foil with spatula.