Baci di Dama - Lady Kisses
Annamaria Settanni McDonald1
- egg whites
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 c
- medium-finely ground blanched almonds
- 4 oz
- semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 tsp
- vegetable shortening
How to Make Baci di Dama - Lady Kisses
- 1Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until egg whites form stiff peaks. Add the sugar slowly; continue beating until egg whites are very thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in cocoa until combined. Stir in almonds; mix until completely blended. Batter should be quite thick and sticky.
- 3Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a ½ inch round tip (such as Ateco #806). Pipe teaspoon-size, peaked mounds onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- 4Bake until slightly cracked, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool on sheets several minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- 5Make filling: In a small bowl, combine shortening and melted chocolate. Spoon about ½ teaspoon of chocolate onto flat side of a cookie; place another cookie on top. Press together gently so chocolate oozes out slightly. Return cookie to a wire rack to set; repeat with remaining cookies. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.