Homemade Nutella Recipe
Store bought, mass produced Nutella -- is loaded with modified palm oil. If you want your guilty pleasures a little less guilty, you can make Homemade Nutella with 4 ingredients, a pinch of salt and about 15 minutes!
How to Make Homemade Nutella Recipe
- 1First: Toast the hazelnuts. Toasting nuts, even pre-roasted ones, adds a depth of flavor that's important to the finished product. Place nuts in a pre-heated 350 degree oven, and toast until they're brown and fragrant, about 10-12 minutes. Stir them every 3-4 minutes to keep them from burning. Once toasted, set them aside to cool.
- 2The food processor is going to do most of the work in this recipe. Add the cooled, toasted nuts to the processor bowl. Turn the food processor on, and after a minute or two you'll have very finely ground hazelnuts. That's not what we're going for, so keep processing. After another minute, the nuts will start to clump together around the blade, and you'll find you have a smooth paste. Add a touch of salt. You've created a tasty Hazelnut butter ! Turn the processor back on .... After about 5 minutes, your hazelnuts should be processed into a LIQUID. Scrape down the sides and the blade and process until there are no lumps remaining. Set the hazelnuts aside and prepare the chocolate portion of the recipe.
- 3Second: The chocolate must be melted, You can either use a microwave-safe bowl, or use a double boiler on the stovetop. Whichever you choose, combine the chopped chocolate, condensed milk and honey in a bowl.
If you're using a double boiler, put the bowl on a pan of simmering water on the stovetop, and heat it, stirring frequently, until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. If you're using the microwave, be sure to stir the mix after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stop once everything is just melted together.
- 4The final step: Add the warm chocolate mix to the bowl of the food processor that contains the liquefied Hazelnuts. Process the mix for 1 to 2 minutes more, until it smoothes out, loses a little graininess, and gets shiny and smooth. The more you mix the stiffer the Nutella gets, so stop while it is still spreadable. Watch it. This happens quickly !! Taste it and add a pinch of salt or an extra squirt of honey to suit your taste. Store your homemade Nutella in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- 5You can eat Homemade Nutella on firm fruits, pretzels, toast, warm crepes, on a cupcake as a frosting, stirred into warm milk, over ice cream, swirled into brownie batter or spread on a croissant.
Makes: 1-1/2 cups