Coconut Fudge Brownies
·½ cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds
·4 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
·½ cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
·½ tsp (2 ml) baking powder
·1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
·½ cup (125 ml) butter or margarine, softened
·2 large eggs
·¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
·¾ cup (175 ml) heavy creamtsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
·6 tbsp (90 ml) tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
·6 tbsp (90 ml) butter, softened
·1 cup (225 ml) toasted coconut.
How to Make Coconut Fudge Brownies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake, turning occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Coarsely chop chocolate. On a sheet of waxed paper, combine flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. On low speed, add eggs, cocoa and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; mix to combine. Stir nuts and chopped chocolate into batter. Spread batter in prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream and brown sugar. Bring to boil and cook until mixture registers 242 degrees (125 C.) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat; cool completely. Whisk in butter until fluffy. Spread topping over brownies. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.