Bourbon Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting
Cindy Smith Bryson
I developed this to go on "My Home Brewed Chocolate Cherry Beer Cake" (also posted) but this really dresses up a simple chocolate cake.
This makes a large amount of frosting ( see *serves*) but half this amount will frost a 9 inch 2 layer cake or top of a 13X9 inch.
1 c(2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 csour cream
4 cdark or bitersweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled slightly. i use ghiradelli 60% cacao bittersweet chips
2-3 cconfectioners' sugar
1/4 cheavy cream
How to Make Bourbon Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting
- Melt chocolate baking chips in microwave or double boiler until just melted. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the softened butter on high until creamy, about 3 minutes. Now continue to beat on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream, mix well until fully incorporated.
- Slowly pour melted chocolate into the mixer, beating well until incorporated into butter.
- Add the confectioner's sugar and slowly building up speed, beat on high until well combined. Add more sugar if more sweetness is desired and repeat as above.
- A few tablespoons at a time add the bourbon and the cream, allowing to fully incorporate before adding more. May need to add small amount of additional cream if additional sugar was added. Adjust accordingly to desired consistency. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure all ingredients are well incorporated.