How to Make penuche
- 1Butter the bottom and sides of an 8x8 pan.
- 2In a large heavy saucepan, cook the sugars, milk, corn syrup, and salt until sugars dissolve and mixture boils. Continue boiling, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 236 degrees on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage).
- 3Remove from heat plop in the peanut butter, but do not stir in.Cool without moving pan til mixture reaches 115 degrees, this could take as long as an hour.
- 4Add vanilla, and beat until mixture thickens and turns lighter in color, should just take a few minutes.
- 5While mixture still flows, and hasn't lost it's gloss, pour into the prepared pan.
- 6Allow to cool completely, then loosen edges with a sharp knife, turn out on a cutting board and cut into 1 inch squares.
- 7Makes about 2 pounds of candy.