You can play with this recipe and make to your desired firmness by letting the candy cook longer. And you can add or subtract the amount of anise for milder or stronger taste.
How to Make Licorice Caramels
- 1Line an 8" square dish with parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, milk, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring pretty constantly. Insert a candy thermometer, making sure that the thermometer is not touching the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring until the thermometer reaches 244 degrees (firm-ball stage). I have been playing with the degrees to try to find that perfect chew.
- 3After reaching desired degrees, remove pan from heat and stir in extract and food coloring keeping your face away from the steam as it is very strong when first added. Stir well.
- 4Pour mixture into prepared pan. Do Not scrape the bottom of the saucepan! Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
- 5Lift parchment paper out of pan and place on cutting board. Cut into desired sizes with a pizza cutter. Wrap each piece in waxed paper. Share and enjoy!