KAHLUA PRALINES (SALLYE)
A little time consuming, but well worth the time and effort.
4 clight brown sugar
1/2 cbutter (1 stick)
28 ozeagle brand sweetened milk (2 cans)
2 cfreshly brewed coffee (not instant!)
2 Tbspgood quality brandy
1 tspvanilla extract
1-1/2 ozunsweetened baking chocolate (chopped)
4 cpecan halves
How to Make KAHLUA PRALINES (SALLYE)
- NOTE: Do not begin this if you have limited time - this recipe needs your full attention
As always, read the entire instructions before beginning.
- Place a length of parchment paper approximately 36" long on a clean flat surface.
Optional - You can use aluminum foil very lightly sprayed with butter flavored cooking oil
- Place sugar, butter, milk and coffee in large heavy sauce pan (5 to 6 quart size) over medium high heat.
- Bring to a brisk boil, then lower the heat to just a brisk simmer.
- The mixture will foam over the sides of the pan for the next 20 to 25 minutes. Whisk down the foam until it no longer overflows.
- Continue cooking at a brisk simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, until a spoon of the hot mixture dropped into a bowl of cold water forms a soft ball.
PATIENCE, you do not want to undercook the mixture.
- When mixture is at soft ball stage, add the brandy, vanilla, chocolate and pecans, stirring them into the candy with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- IMPORTANT: Be careful on the next steps- the candy will be way too hot to touch with your hands and can cause serious burns.
- Remove a 1-1/2" to 2" scoop of candy mixture with a tablespoon, and use another tablespoon to scrape the ball of candy onto the parchment paper.
Working as quickly as you can, continue until you have used all the candy mixture.
- Allow candy to cool on the paper for 30-45 minutes until hardened.
- Store in an airtight container.
Tip: It's okay to sample before you store.
Will keep in fridge for several weeks.