French Marron Glace-Chestnut Candies
Take the time to read the directions and understand the instructions.
It takes 10 days to make these. 3 days of cooking.
How to Make French Marron Glace-Chestnut Candies
- 1Clean the whole chestnuts well. Place the chestnuts and vit. C powdered tabs in a porcelian bowl or glass bowl only.
Cover with water and place in the refrigerator for 7 days. Pour of the water and peel off the outer layer of shell.
- 2Place the chestnuts in a porcelian pot with boiling water to loosen the outer layer of brown skin. It takes 4 to 6 of mintues depending on the size of the chestnuts. With your finger tips rub off the brown skin.
- 3In a large emanel pot place the 3 1/4 cups of distilled water and the 3 1/4 cups of sugar to make the syrup. Place pot on low heat and add vanilla bean. Cook on low heat until sugar is dissolved. When the water begins to simmer place with care the chestnuts. Keep the syrup at a gentle simmer in a covered pot for 48 hours while basting the chestnuts occassionally.
- 4Remove the chestnuts with a slotted spoon and place them in a colander to drain and cool. Place them on a rack with a cookie sheet underneath.
- 5In a preheated oven set at 550* place the cookie sheet with the chestnuts on the rack in the oven.
Bake a couple of minutes..but no more. You want the syrup to harden a little and not be sticky.
Cool them and then wrap each one in a square of waxpapper. Place them in a container and set in a cool dry place. These will keep up to a month. They are even better covered in chocolate and wrapped