When I did a little research I began to find that there are other candy recipes that use mashed potatoes, too!! This is an old recipe from the 60's, I think.
Becky does not call for any vanilla in her recipe but other recipes call for 1 1/2 tsp... your choice.
- 1 1/2 c
- hot mashed potatoes
- 2 pkg
- (14 oz ea) shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 lb
- powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 pkg
- (12 oz ea) chocolate chips (semi sweet or dark chocolate) -- can use molding chocolate also
How to Make Coconut Balls
- 1There are no particular directions for the mashed potatoes... so make your favorite kind. I would think that the recipe would be better if they are made from scratch with salted boiled potatoes, butter, and milk -- but that is up to you.
- 2Stir the sugar and coconut into the hot mashed potatoes mixing well. Then chill for an hour.
- 3Pull the bowl out of the fridge and start making balls the size of walnuts which you set on a cookie sheet.
- 4Place the rolled balls back into the fridge for another hour to chill, on the cookie sheet.
- 5Melt the chocolate and remove from heat, then dip the chilled balls in chocolate and place on cookie sheet again, to set.
- 6Store in tightly covered container between layers of waxed paper in the refrigerator.