Caramels with Roasted, Salted Almonds
Just try to keep yourself from eating to many...the salty goodness is almost to much...NOoo it's not, who am I kidding!!!
- 1 tsp
- butter, for buttering pan
- 1 c
- salted roasted almonds, coursely chopped
- 1/2 c
- 2 c
- 3/4 c
- light karo syrup
- 1 can(s)
- evaporated milk
How to Make Caramels with Roasted, Salted Almonds
- 1Use a 7x11 or 9x9 pan, line with foil and butter foil, sprinkle almonds evenly over pan. Set aside.
- 2Melt the butter in a large saucepan (at least 2 quarts) over medium heat, add brown sugar, syrup and 1/2 the milk, stirring to mix well...bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Slowly (as not to stop the boiling) stir in the remaining milk, add your candy thermometer and continue to boil over medium heat until you reach 245 on the thermometer for a soft caramel, 248 for a firmer caramel. Remove from heat and pour into prepared pan. Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate until hard enough to invert pan. I usually make them at night, refrigerate over night and cut in the morning.
- 3Once cool, invert pan onto cutting board, peel off foil, cut into 1" squares and wrap individually in wax papers that have been cut in approx 5"x5" squares. Store in refrigerator. Freeze well too!