Try the anise (licorice) one too use anise flavoring and green food coloring!
- 3 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 c
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp
- peppermint oil
- 3 to 5 dash(es)
- yellow food coloring or use you favorite color
How to Make Butter Mints
- 1Butter a 15x10 inch baking pan. Place pan in refrigerator to keep cool until needed.
In a large heavy saucepan with a lid, combine sugar,water and butter. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon over high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- 2Bring to a boil; cover and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes to allow steam to wash sugar crystals down. Uncover; cook over medium heat, without stirring, until candy thermometer reads 260^(hard ball stage).
- 3Remove from heat; stir in peppermint oil and food coloring. Pour into chilled pan without scraping. Let stand undisturbed for 10 minutes.
With a rubber spatula, gently fold edges of hot candy into the center of the pan, repeating 2 or 3 times until the candy is cool enough to handle.
- 7For Stormy's Vitamin C Melt-Aways:
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract,orange essential or flavored oil
2 to 3 drops of orange food coloring or none at all,optional
To make follow directions above for original Butter Mints.