★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- butter (margarine won't work!) (4 cubes, or 1 lbs brick)
- 2 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 pkg
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pkg
- almonds, finely chopped (i pulse whole or almond pieces in a spice grinder or small food processor until almonds reach desired size).
- candy thermometer
How to Make Almond Roca
- 1In a deep, heavy pan melt together the sugar and butter. Hook candy thermometer inside the pot, taking care that the tip of theremometer does not touch the bottom of the pot. Using a wooden spoon (plastic melts and metal gets HOT),stir constantly until mixture reaches 300 degrees. Immediately pour onto ungreased cookie sheet. (Mixture will start off light in color and will look kind of fluffy. As it reaches 300 degrees, the mixture will darken and lose some fluffiness).
- 2After pouring mixture onto ungreased cookie sheet, immediately cover with a even layer of chocolate chips. Using the back of a spoon, smooth over the melting chips until they make a nice chocolate layer to within 1/2 inch of edges. Immediately sprinkle almonds over the top.
- 3Cool completely on a wire rack.... this process takes the longest.... hours. Using a butter knife, crack the roca into bite-size pieces. ENJOY!