ALMOND BRITTLE and PECAN BRITTLE
1 1/2 csugar
1 cwhite karo syrup
1 lbraw almonds
1 tspbaking soda
4 cpecans, in pieces
1/4 cwhipping cream
1/4 ccorn syrup
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspvanilla extract
How to Make ALMOND BRITTLE and PECAN BRITTLE
- ALMOND BRITTLE: Have almonds warm in a 200 degree oven in large baking dish.
Combine sugar and karo syrup in large iron skillet or other heavy skillet over MEDIUM HEAT. Stir with wooden spoon until disolved.
- Add Almonds and salt.
- Stir constantly until mixture on sides of skillet starts to turn yellow. Add butter and stir. Turn off heat, add soda quickly, it will foam, stir real fast.
- Turn immediately onto well greased, warm cookie sheet. Spread quickly. When cool, break into pieces.
- PECAN BRITTLE:
Butter a 10x15 inch pan; set aside.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.Place pecans in a 9x13 inch baking pan, keep warm in oven until candy is cooking.
- In heavy two quart sauce pan combine heavy cream,corn syrup,water, and sugar. Heat over med/ high heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking until hard cracked stage is reached, 300 degrees on candy thermometer.
Stir in butter and continue cooking syrup to 285 degrees on candy thermometer, or soft crack stage.
- Remove from heat, stir in salt,soda, and vanilla. Add warm pecans and stir until pecans are well coated. Pour on to buttered baking dish and spread quickly, allow to cool completely. Should make 30 pieces. Store in air tight container.
- ** THESE BRITTLES ARE NICE TO MAKE AHEAD AND HAVE ON HAND, THEY CAN ACT AS A FILL IN ON ANY TRAY OR MIX UP AND SERVE ALONE IN CANDY TRAY WITH OTHER COLORFUL CANDIES AND CHOCOLATES.