Zack's Favorite Pineapple Upside Down Cake
**This recipe can also be made with peaches, substitute in place of pineapple.
1 can(s)libby's sliced pineapple, drained, save juice
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 can(s)maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 cflaked coconut
WHITE CAKE RECIPE
1 1/2 cwhite sugar
1/2 creserved pineapple juice (from sliced pineapple)
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
How to Make Zack's Favorite Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk. Add drained Pineapple rings, arranging pieces so they all fit, some may have to be cut in half. Cook pineapple in butter, brown sugar mixture about 5 minutes to soak in flavor. Turn off heat. Add Maraschino cherries (optional) to inside of pineapple rings, and arrange throughout skillet. Sprinkle half of the coconut over pineapple arrangement.
- To prepare the cake. In a large mixing bowl, add white sugar, reserved fruit juice, mashed banana, & vanilla. Mix on medium speed until mixed thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl,add flour and baking powder, & rest of coconut, mix well. Add to creamed mixture, mix well.
- Pour cake batter over pineapple in cast iron skillet.
Bake in pre-heated oven for 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- allow cake to cool for approximately 5-10 minutes. Place Large Round Serving plate, or cake plate over skillet, top side facing cake. Using oven mitts, hold plate in place and flip cake onto plate. Cake will come out easy. Allow cake to cool completely. Or serve warm with ice cream on the side.