Yaourtopita - Greek Yogurt Cake
A delicious, traditional Greek dessert, from recipe used in the homes of local Greek mothers and grandmothers!
This is a refreshing and easily prepared cake for the summer months, prepared with Greek strained yogurt.
Although it can be eaten warm straight from the oven, it is best eaten when it is cold.
- 400 g fine semolina
- 400 g sugar
- 500 g greek yogurt, strained
- 5 eggs
- 50 g almonds, very finely chopped
- 5⁄8 g vanilla powder or 5⁄8 g vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- 350 g water
- 600 g sugar
- 3 lemon peel, thin strips of
How to Make Yaourtopita - Greek Yogurt Cake
- 1For the cake, put the eggs, sugar and grated peel in a bowl and beat well with a hand whisk.
- 2Add the yogurt and beat well until it is well mixed.
- 3Set aside 1 tbsp of semolina and put the rest in a bowl and add the almonds, vanilla, baking powder and salt, mix well.
- 4Add this mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- 5Take an oven dish 30cm diameter and 5cm deep, butter it and sprinkle the tbsp of semolina you have previously set aside.
- 6Put the mixture in the dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes.
- 7In the meantime prepare the syrup by boiling all the syrup ingredients for 5 minutes.
- 8When the cake is ready, cut it into portions in the oven dish and pour the syrup over it.
- 9Remember, the cake should be hot when you do this and the syrup warm.
- 10Serve chilled.