White Almond Cake w/ Raspberry Filling
WHITE ALMOND CAKE
1 boxwhite or vanilla cake mix (i used a white mix)
1 cplus 2 tbsp. cake flour (do not use all-purpose)
1 1/3 cwater
1/2 cmelted butter
1 csour cream
1 tspvanilla or almond extract (this is opt. i used a tsp. of each.)
12 ozfrozen unsweetened rasperries, thawed
1 tsplemon juice
2 Tbsp(heaping tbsp.) cornstarch
2 Tbspraspberry liqueur (this is opt. but packs huge flavor to the filling. i used razzmatazz)
How to Make White Almond Cake w/ Raspberry Filling
- For the cake:
In a large bowl, using a hand held mixer or a kitchen aide, combine the water, eggs, melted butter, sour cream and the extract(s)(if you're using). Mix well.
- Add the salt, sugar, cake flour and cake mix. Mix well on medium speed working out most of the lumps for about 2 mins. (It's not necessary to work out all the lumps)
- Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 35mins.
- For the Raspberry filling:
Thaw raspberries and strain the juice from the berries. Add enough water to the juice to get 3/4 cup of juice.
- In a small saucepan, combine raspberry juice/water, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat, set aside and allow to cool.
- Using a fine wire strainer, use a spoon to press the raspberries so that the seedless pulp falls into a bowl below. Strain enough pulp to get between 1/3-1/2 cup of pulp.
***You can skip this step and use the whole berries. But some people may not enjoy picking seeds out of their teeth.
- After the mixture in the saucepan has cooled to about room temp., add the raspberry pulp and the 2 tbsp. of raspberry liqueur (if you're using). Mix well and refrigerate 2-3 hours.
*Keeps in the fridge for at least a week.